Przejdź do treści
English

Christ the King’s Catedral

Katowice

Description

Construction works on the cathedral, located in the very centre of Katowice, started in 1927, according to a design of two architects, Z. Gawlik and F. Mączyński. It was built in a style inspired by the classicism and consecrated in 1955 by the bishop of Częstochowa, Zdzisław Goliński.

On the premises, extending to 90, 000 m2, there are:

– Cathedral,

– episcopal curia,

– building of sacristy,

– presbytery with catechetical rooms,

– vault with the University Church.

 

A monumental shape of the cathedral, which walls are mainly made of reinforced concrete covered with dolomite, consists of:

– colonnade with gilded inscription Soli Deo honor et gloriaTo God Alone Be Honor and Glory,

– five bells hanged under the roof,

– dome- 64 m high, 101 m long, 50 m wide- with a lantern and a cross on the top.

 

Interior of the cathedral is decorated with many stained glass windows, designed by professor Pękalski, frescos and bas-reliefs. We can mostly find artificial lighting in the cathedral.

Christ the King’s Cathedral is the biggest archcathedral in Poland.

 

Additional information

Is accessible to public?

Yes

How far it is?

At venue

How good lightning is

Small

Media

Electricity

Noise level

Small

Has parking space

Yes

Needs permission?

Yes